Monday, June 20, 2011

From Aunt Mary's Bookshelf

I have spent the last few days pouring over a 1969 Ball Blue Book that undoubtedly came from my great Aunt Mary's kitchen shelf.  I have an up to date canning guide, but this has made for awesome reading for a food anthropology geek like myself.  I have learned the difference between a catchup and a sauce; how many jars it will take to can an 800lb steer (175-200); the proper way to can broccoli, even though as it states "It will discolor and take on a very strong taste."  I now know my 3 berry jam is actually a conserve.  And finally, if I want to feed my family for a year I need 252 quarts of tomatoes or juice, 400 plus cans of assorted fruits and vegetables and at least 52 quarts of pickles.  This is only part of the list.  It should be noted that according to the USDA at the time, you only need can for 36 weeks of eating as fresh foods should be available the other 16 weeks.  I don't think fast food was counted in here.  My favorite recipe was on the last page.

How to Preserve a Husband

Be careful in your selection.  Do not choose too young.  When selected, give your entire thoughts to preparation for domestic use. Some wives insist upon keeping them in a pickle, others are constantly getting them into hot water.  This may make them sour, hard and sometimes bitter; even poor varieties may be made sweet, tender and good, by garnishing them with patience, well sweetened with love and seasoned with kisses.  Wrap them in a mantle of charity.  Keep warm with a steady fire of domestic devotion and serve with peaches and cream.  Thus prepared, they will keep for years.

4 comments:

Robin F. said...

This is good advice, also for the husband. I love old cookbooks and to thumb one marked and worn and stained by a loved on is akin to cooking in one of their well seasoned black iron skillets. It is a connection to our past and our future.

Robin F. said...

"Never make your husband blush to own that you are his wife but by your industry, frugality, and neatness, make him proud, and happy to know that he is in possession of a companion who is a complete model of loveliness and true elegance." Mrs Lettice Bryan, "The Kentucky Housewife (cookbook)", 1839.

missyg said...

I am soooo coveting that book. It sounds ENTHRALLING!

Rebecca said...

Very cute.