Monday, November 10, 2008

Perfect Days

When asked about perfect days, many people seem to think of the days of great events- weddings, births, holidays etc. They may even tell you of a season of life such as high school or childhood. None of these come even close to being on my list of perfect days. Although I rejoice, almost everyday, in the outcome of my wedding, the day itself was stressful, not really what I would have planned if truly left to my own choices, and exhausting. I adore my children, and would not take anything for the memories of picking them up for the first time, but each of his or her arrivals was also stressful, tiring, and full of extra emotions over finding the right kind of food or safe water in a foreign country. To this day we still compare all statements on tired to "Russia tired." No other tired has ever compared. As for seasons of life, if the best times are in the past, why go forward?

My perfect days are really about moments in time that take my breath away. Or those moments when I look around me and feel the swell of contentment deep in my soul. The true delight of the moment almost envelopes me. I am brought to tears at how blessed I am. They don't usually include many people, time is no object, and I feel no pressure to please any one in particular, or any one at all.

Perfect days are.......
  • Any day that includes me, B and H, a good book, warm sun and the pool.
  • Castaway Cay day on a Disney Cruise. Breakfast at Parrot Cay, followed by all day on the beach with no sand to clean up afterwards.
  • Camping anywhere with beautiful trees, a warm fire and no cell service.
  • A quiet afternoon, baking cookies or bread in my kitchen, as rain or snow falls softly outside. ( I love the feel of bread dough in my hands.)
  • Any day but a holiday weekend spent lounging in the boat. L loves the wind in her hair. B and H hatching some kind of plan for exploring. J in his daddy's arms driving the boat.
  • Waking up on Thanksgiving morning with no place to go or activity we have to do until 5pm.
  • Walking through a yellow woods with my husband at 1pm on a week day.

1 comment:

karen said...

ah, perfect days. I've decided that I don't have a very good memory. I seem to forget the details of conversations or the exact dates times and places of events. But when I lie in bed at night and think back over the course of my day or week or year, no perfect moment flashes by in my mind. instead I feel warm and I realize I'm smiling. And it occurs to me that they are all perfect days. And I get up one more time to check on the kids and stroke their cheeks and feel them breathe, because it is in them that I see the face of God.