Tuesday, March 30, 2010

When We Grow Up

We seem to have hit a spot, where we have lots of discussions on "when we grow up." I will have.... kind of house, pet, car etc. Two of the most recent struck me as particularly interesting. On the way to Gatlinburg, B and H were telling me how many children they were each going to have and what names they had chosen. B wants 2 boys and a girl; Raymond, Maxwell, and Amanda. H, ever the unique one, wants a boy and a girl; Draco and Gladys. I'll just see how many of you get that one.

Friday, B had a friend spend the night. They were all discussing future jobs and careers. The friend wants to be a marine biologist. B wants to be a clothing and jewelry designer. She talks about this all the time and has even reached the age of planning education etc. H, having not learned how to say no to anything, wants to be an illustrator, help Daddy on the farm, and of course cheer. J could not be left out and kept yelling across the table, "Stop talking and listen to me! I want to be a fireman." Dawn complimented him on his great choice, but J kept going. "Yes, a fireman,or Mater and then I can have a hook coming out of my back. I love those hooks." Umm. Let's see, in 20 years I am going to have the evil twins for grandchildren, but I will be able to get my car towed for free.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Draco Malfoy? Gladys Who?

Naming hypothetical children must be a girl thing. My college friends, none of whom have children, recently maintained a 20 message string on names for children: family names, overly trendy names, literary names, names ruined by bad encounters.

However, Mark says we'll name them if and when we have them. Similarly, could you even imagine the boys Hadley and Brianna's age discussing the names of their children? Nope.

missyg said...

Awesome to all their choices!!

And Rebecca...I have two boys, (14 and 9), they most certainly DO NOT think up names for their "future children."

Too funny!

Missy said...

The only Gladys I can think of is the one who had the thing for Gilderoy Lockhart. I think her name was Gladys Gudgeon or something like that. Is she the one?

When Sean first started asking for a sibling around age 3, he wanted twins with dark hair named Fred and Betty. It's been many years since and he has not mentioned any other names for children (his future kids or otherwise).

Unknown said...

Draco Malfoy of course and Gladys Herdman. Although I guess Gladys was technically reformed at the end.