Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Search for Normal

Read the following post with a grain of salt. We have just had a rough week between sick kids and a tragic accident between one of our feed truck drivers and a long time member of our church. Eldon will be missed by all. The truck driver is searching for his faith. Please pray for him. I just needed a place to vent.

Years ago I came across the idea of habits and schedules as a way to relieve stress. Emilie Barnes made a career out of teaching people to break household tasks into easy steps and plans that basically took the thought out of each day and made all of these activities a habit. Managers of Their Homes takes this even further. If you have ever seen the brightly colored charts hanging in the Duggar's house, you have met MOTH. MOTH has you schedule yourself and each child in crazy detail. Both are really just using classroom management techniques that have worked for years- playing music to announce cleanup time. Hanging toys on pre marked pegboards. Always sending lunch money in the same folder etc. My latest read, Simple Life, takes yet another look at this. The authors point out that we all have a "normal" setting. The stress and frustration comes when our normal doesn't match our priorities or personal mission statement. They use a wonderful example of Michael Phelps. Michael Phelps has a goal and a vision and makes decisions accordingly. He does not get up every morning stressed out about all he has to do. He gets up, eats like an Olympian, trains like and Olympian and sleeps like an Olympian. He does not seem frustrated because he hasn't also cured cancer and revamped the education system. Come on admit it, some of you like me do a pretty good job of beating ourselves up for not being ultra super woman.

So, what do I do with all of this? We are without a doubt stressed to the max. We keep telling ourselves, it is just for a season, that everyone has moments, but I am tired of our moments. I can't help but think most other people are tired of us too. Everybody wants to feel like they have things hardest or most challenging etc. It's how we deal with the self imposed guilt. But I get sick of just being so needy. We are desperately searching for a new normal and one that fits with our vision and goals, but what if the normal you have can never equal the normal you want?

We have little margin in our lives, but we really are trying to make better decisions. We have given up every outside activity we can for the time. We have Dawn coming every minute she can, but her schedule is also rough this semester. L can't just adjust to another set of hands, so that is not really an option. Sometimes I think we have the same issues as anybody else, we just put them on steroids. Lot of kids have his/her tonsils removed. But, we are dealing with extreme oxygen drops, a huge machine in J's bedroom that delivers the oxygen, and quickly scheduled surgery that means it will be the Wed before H goes to Gatlinburg on Friday and Daytona a week later. We grab scratching and clawing at what we remember of normal and when we fall, still can't seem to wrap our minds around that elusive "new normal". What seems to work best is divide and conquer parenting with Brian going to Gatlinburg with big kids and me going to Daytona. We do this alot and often feel we have given up family unity and support. It breeds alot of "me, me, me"attitudes and resentment towards J and L. It happens everywhere. Because L is pulling out hair and bloodying herself, she tends to get her way in the car. Her movie, her music etc. Angry siblings. I envisioned kids learning to be more compassionate and patient, but once you get bit a few times, you tend to lose desire to help restrain and instead yell, pout and demand you to find L's helmet.

Sometimes that desire for "normal" pushes us to just make bad decisions. Taking L back to Bowling Green after she had already made the trip twice that day. Ridiculous amounts of fast food because it buys a moment of appeasement. Even discussing if J will be well enough to make the Gatlinburg trip. Okay, enough bad day. Sorry, I am on day 4 of an elephant sitting on my chest while I cough and run a fever. I may look back later and realize it was the cough medicine with hydrocodone that was doing the talking here. Where do we go from here? Is there ever a point at which we can look at our life and say "it's not for everyone, but hey it works for us and we are content." Notice I did not say happy, I think they are two different things. I just want to reach a point that like MOTHs or Michael Phelps, I simply move through the day with out feeling like it is an enemy to be conquered.

I have to quit being angry. I have to quit fussing at God. Whatever lesson I am supposed to be learning, I call "Mercy". The teaching method is killing me.

So, what do you do? How do you find a normal that works for all the peoples in your household? Let me sit at your feet and glean wisdom.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Although I can't relate to the trials that you and your family are facing, I can relate to facing obstacles in life that totally shake up who you think you are and what you think you want out of life and push you into a sort of survival mode. Such has been my life the past couple of months. Is it possible to have the career I want and have dreamed of having for so long AND be a good wife AND be a good mother AND keep my sanity? As it turns out, the answer is no. Could I be mediocre with all of the above and be satisfied? That answer is no as well. Can I learn to be patient and succeed at what I know in my heart is most important--being a good mom and wife--and put the other things aside for now? With God's help, I think the answer to that one is yes. Does that mean I have failed? I'm still struggling with that one. Maybe it means I just haven't succeeded YET.

Maybe normal is overrated. Routines get to be boring and when something becomes a habit, you lose some of the enjoyment. My grandma used to tell me about the struggles she and my grandpa had raising five girls. No matter what obstacles they faced, they faced them together and made it through stronger than ever. I'm sure your grandma has told you the same kinds of stories. We have good genes behind us, faith, and families. We can face anything.

Tereza Crump said...

Like the person who left a comment before... although I cannot relate to your trials... a while back after 7 years of struggling with my strong willed oldest child God led me to hear a pastor from Singapore called Joseph Prince. I read his book "Destined to Reign". I had been struggling with anger, guilt, condemnation and I was having a really hard time breaking the cycle. God ministered to me through his book. Mercy and Grace were what I found. I would recommend you take the time to read the book, or listen to his sermons on iTunes, or google him you will find some clips on youtube.com and he is on TBN and Daystar also. Grace is what we all need and it is available to us through Jesus Christ. It's more than what you think! We and the devil take care of keeping ourselves feeling condemned and helpless and hopeless. May God help you find the peace of mind, His Grace and goodness even in the hard trials you are going through. All things are possible to those that believe. There is nothing impossible for God. I speak miracles into your family and that which looks impossible today will be your "new normal" for God's Glory. :) In Jesus' name, Amen and Amen. tereza