Friday, January 8, 2010

Have Crockpot, Will Travel

Most of you realize I am a little off anyways, but based on a friends response the other night, this post will confirm any doubts you had about my sanity. I LOVE MY CROCKPOT. Yes, that's right, the once somewhat outdated appliance of the 70's has more value in my kitchen than the microwave. My kids love most of what comes from it. It is the secret to Sunday dinner being on the table in a timely manner, and an ever helpful friend on busy, overwhelming days. So strongly do I feel about my crockpots abilities that this year it hit the road with us. You make room for your pet, or technological devices, I'll find a place for my crockpot, even if it means in my lap.

L doesn't do restaurants well. Combine a long day and then J's antics and an evening meal out is a recipe for disaster. Brian used to joke that our kitchen closed on weekends, but no longer. We have a 24 hour open sign hanging over the doorway and rarely have food in the fridge long enough to come even close to expiration dates. We do hot breakfast and sit down suppers. Vacation, as you can imagine, becomes a challenge. If we can stay in a condo, problem solved. This fall, we went to Williamsburg, Jamestowne, and Yorktown. We stayed in a Great Wolf Lodge and a full kitchen was not in my budget. Of course my loving crockpot came to the rescue. Each morning we left for touring with that night's supper happily stewing from a slew of raw ingredients to a delicious "home cooked meal". Add a fresh salad and bread and who could want more. We saved money and simply ate better. My crockpot will definitely be joining us on future adventures.

It didn't have to wait long till Thanksgiving rolled around. We decided L would do better if we left Thanksgiving morning for Bracken County, but that would mean arriving right at meal time and I needed to cook my butternut squash. Crockpot to the rescue. We used the adaptor in the car and it happily cooked along the drive to Mom and Dad's, filling the car with a wonderful aroma. What a friend. Stay tuned for further adventures of my crockpot.

Beef and Mushroom soup
1 1/2 pounds stew meat
1 onion chopped
1 small package mushrooms chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cans water

Mix in the crockpot and allow to cook all day. If need be, you can add 4 chopped potatoes during this time, but I usually cook the potatoes separately and add them at the end.

Before serving, turn off or turn to low and stir in one can evaporated milk, salt and pepper.

3 comments:

Missy said...

Never thought of using the crockpot in the van. That's a great idea!

missyg said...

My problem is most crock-pot recipes take cream of mushroom soup. I can't stand that flavor! Any other suggestions?

Unknown said...

I don't think my beef stew/ soup recipe has a very cream of anything taste when it is done. Keep reading for future recipes. I think almost anything can be done in a crockpot.