Tuesday, September 2, 2008

PollyAnna and the Presidential Election

I consider myself pretty intelligent. I am reasonably well read, and I try to seek news, advice and opinions from a variety of sources. I am also surrounded by staunch political advocates from both sides. During a governor's election several years ago, my parents were leading the charge in one part of the state for the Republican candidate, while my in laws hosted a fundraiser for the Democratic candidate. My children hear more and know more about all the candidates than most adults. My parents are attending the RNC as I write.

That being said, my husband and I feel we spend most of our time in the middle. We are pro-life voters which means we are against abortion, but we also think we should see that all children have health care, a good education, and enough to eat. Which side does this place us on? We are strong supporters of national defense but think it would best be achieved through making the USA more self sufficient. We favor alternative fuels but feel switch grasses, not corn, are the best answer. Which side does this put us on? We value education and think teachers should be better compensated, but our children attend a private school. Which side does this put us on?

This is where my Pollyanna view of the world comes in. I don't think it is too much to ask for a president that can reach across the aisle and abandon party politics. We are excited to have a campaign that includes such a diverse group of people. It gives me goosebumps to see what is possible in America. Anyone can become president! I want to shut out the raving lunatics (and both sides have a few) and help my children wrap their sweet, innocent minds around the history that will happen with this election. The winner here is America. Healthy competition only makes each individual stronger. The president is a powerful man no doubt, but our founders were smart enough to build in a system of checks and balances. I want to help my children delight in the fact that they live in a country where a free exchange of ideas is encouraged, diversity is valued and the worth of a man or woman is determined not by race, age, gender or parental heritage, but his or her own efforts.

Call me Pollyanna if you choose. I'll proudly take the label as I wave my RED and BLUE flag.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Do you ever read Soujourners? It's a faith-based group that also holds many of your opinions about the intersection of faith and nonpartisan politics:
http://www.sojo.net/