Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Leftovers

I have decided that families fall into two basic camps: those who eat leftovers and those who don't. I don't think I completely realized this until a friend who is a professional organizer did a kitchen organization job. My friend is a definite leftover person. She is very frugal and is quick to save even the extras from the Wednesday night church suppers. I have never dropped by her house at lunch time and been unable to find something to munch. Her client it turns out had no need for Tupperware because she said they never saved food.

Brian and I both grew up in leftover eating families. My sister's friend once commented that we were the only family she knew who could eat leftovers more than regular food. I am not sure this is a distiction most families are striving for. Some of our leftover eating came from necessity. It just wasn't feasible to throw out perfectly good food. Some of our habits were for logistical reasons. Both of us grew up in farm families where at least in the summer there was a bigger meal at lunch and then the leftovers from that were served at supper. There were also no fast food or other eating establishments and leftovers were an easy way to get supper on the table quickly. Remember this is the same small town where the grocer explained to me (when I asked for a boneless chicken breast after eating one at college) that " all chickens have a bone in their breasts!" and then walked off shaking his head at my ludicrous request.

We now seem to have a family that does not do leftovers- at least not for supper. We both claim the other is at fault for this perceived character flaw. I personally think the kids are to blame. Why not, they are not reading this and can't defend themselves. The reality is, that I can not seem to find a way to present leftovers in a way that brings the whole clan to the table. We seldom seem to have enough of one item to all sit down to meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green beans a second time. Leftover night is more likely: enough meat for 2 tacos (but no tortillas), one serving of peas, 1 chicken breast, a half a steak and 4 potato patties. When I try to add a fruit salad or bread, it seems we all enjoy a light meal of fruit and bread and the rest still sits where I placed it. Brian is more likely on leftover night to comment on the size of his lunch and opt for midnight yogurt. Now that B can boil water, she offers to fix Ramen noodles.

What does all this mean? A recent study shows that brown bagging is at the highest it has been in decades. Brian, in an attempt to eat a little healthier is trying to join those ranks. As for the rest of the food, we don't have that many leftovers. The few we do can be well enjoyed by the dogs. I think the time we spend lingering over the table when it is a meal we all enjoy is worth far more than the cost of a few leftovers.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Here's what I propose. Family's such as yours should team up with young couples or singles.

For Mark and I, it's hard to justify making a whole, balanced meal every night when only two busy people will be consuming. We end up with lots of things that can be done singly such as baked potatoes or a can of soup. Rarely do we justify making nicer, large dishes such as broccoli casserole or baked chicken. Your dinners, no doubt, are full of such things.

You say your leftovers of these items are never enough for the whole family a second time around, so if you sell them off to a smaller fam (such as mine), then you would avoid being wasteful AND make money AND feed the "hungry." Plus, the couple would probably have a tastier, balanced meal.

You'd need to have a quick trade off system worked out, though, so that the couple got your leftovers for the following night. Nobody likes old leftovers. :-)

karen said...

I have tried in vain to cling to my leftover roots. "wormed" overs, as Jackie called them. Obviously her family was not of the same persuasion. Alas, neither is Danny. So every night I clear the table placing little dabs and dribbles in tiny tupperware containers only to throw them out weeks late when they are blue and fuzzy and there are no more containers in the cupboard. it's our sacrifice to the refrigerator gods.

Unknown said...

We had popcorn two nights ago. No seriously..I know what we eat does matter..but the fellowship can make up for the lack of creativity at the table...especially with groceries at these prices. Apples..$9.00 a bag here in L'ville! LOVE THE BLOG! Blessings,
Heather Bates

Unknown said...

Michael and I will take care of your "leftover" problem...just a thought! Love the Blog!

millie said...

I still love leftovers; no need to think. Since I don't do much cooking any more does that mean I don't do much thinking any more either? Ah, the plight of the empty nester!
Millie

Missy said...

Just wait until J is almost 12. Then, you won't ever have to worry about leftovers. We call Sean the human garbage disposal. There's never anything left to put into a container for later!