Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Do the Next Thing

I found the poem below while reading in car line.  I have to admit, the first few days of everyone back at school- the first time ever to be at home by myself, have not gone quite as I expected.  The twins, were far more demanding than I ever expected and homeschooling, while wonderful, drained anything else left of my lifeblood right out.  Basically, I have 3 and a half years of accumulating to do lists waiting to be tackled as soon as I dropped all 4 smiling faces at the school house door.  Not just big projects, but some things as basic as clean the basement kitchen sink, finally have all the clothes put away at one time, separate important mementos from 6 month old mail, find the charger to my nook, wash hair and shave in the same showering event. Day 7 on the island and none of these have happened.  I have spent hours in meetings, the nightmare/never ending house redecorating project, and caring for a sick child but......  Basically, I am as overwhelmed as before they went back to school, now I just feel more guilty for not having it all done.  It will get better.  I have a little more done each day, I have just had to extend projected completion date to Christmas. Or maybe May.

At an old English parsonage down by the sea,
There came in the twilight a message to me.
Its quaint Saxon legend deeply engraven
That, as it seems to me, teaching from heaven.
And all through the hours the quiet words ring,
Like a low inspiration, do the next thing.

Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from heaven,
Time, opportunity, and guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrow, child of the King,
Trust them with Jesus, do the next thing.

Do it immediately, do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care.
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand,
Who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on Omnipotence, safe'neath His wing,
Leave all results, do the next thing.

Looking to Jesus, ever serener,
Working or suffering be thy demeanor;
In His dear presence,  the rest of His calm,
The light of His countenance, be thy psalm,
Strong in His faithfulness, praise and sing.
Then as He beckons, do the next thing.

Author Unknown

No comments: