Friday, December 24, 2010

Brown Paper Bags

I'm sure my childhood Christmases were wilder than I remember.  There were parties, and strep throat, and cookies to bake.  I remember variety in events from year to year.  Caroling some,but not all.  Lots of people and just a few depending on who had leave. A year with so much snow the church youth went sledding every weekend for a month.  Great presents.  Not so great presents.  Fun relatives and well... you get the idea.  But what I remember most are brown paper bags.
My best friend's church was just down the road from us.  A beautiful German styled brick and stone building with stained glass windows that actually raised to let in fresh spring and summer air.  I have never forgotten the Sunday we worshipped as a thunder storm rolled in across the tobacco field outside.  It's a small building with a little sanctuary and a basement for Sunday school.  Every year, St.Paul held a Christmas eve service.  It would be dark and cold outside while the inside of the little building was bulging at the seams with parishioners and visitors like myself, all dressed in their holiday best.  This wasn't a night for doctrinal differences- just the coming together of a community to welcome the Savior.  The program was the same every year.  The youth read by candlelight, the children acted the parts of the nativity,and the congregation sang every traditional hymn you can imagine.  Loud booming voices of hardworking farmers mixed with warbly sopranos from little old ladies in dresses and snow boots.  I never remember a song leader,but to my little mind,the program seemed to have a life of its own.  ( I always wanted to be in this program as the parts were assigned on a rotational basis guaranteeing every girl eventually played Mary etc- a fairness for which I had great respect.)  At the front of the church stood what I was sure was the largest tree ever.  A towering cedar tree covered in lights, crowding the first few rows and filling the area with a fresh sweet smell.  Every year the same and every year an opportunity to set aside the craziness that leads up to Christmas and for just an hour or so become fully wrapped up in the mystery and joy that is really Christmas.  I always went home and changed or added to my letter to Santa to something about peace and good will.  But not before we got one of those wonderful brown paper bags.  Better than any trick or treat bucket or Valentine treat.  A plain brown bag filled with oranges and full size candy bars.  Hershey's, Peanut butter cups,and sweet and sour suckers.  All the smells and tastes and memories of Christmas in plain wrapping.  Sweet.  Simple.  Perfect.

3 comments:

missyg said...

Love this, Cathy. Beautifully put.

Clara K. said...

I always loved the brown paper bags as well. Thanks for bringing back some good memories. C

merissasmom said...

I remember the paper bags well.