Thursday, June 3, 2010

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary

How does your garden grow??

With children sweet….

DSC00578

 

and dirty feet,

DSC00577

And plants in boxes not rows!!

DSC00640

I just love the garden.  I love my morning meetings with earth worms and weeds.  I love the feel and the smell of soft black dirt in my hands, and the daily discovery of something newly sprouted.  Bright berries peek from under leaves, and J blows off the dirt before popping them into his mouth.  He debates with me all the reasons I should NOT plant red sweet corn, only yellow.  L repeats “lello”. J finds her a berry.  B takes over her own box to fill with wildflower seeds, and of course we weed.  We anxiously await the future blueberry and raspberry harvests and vow to find what creature is eating the broccoli.  I delight in finding that Brian has staked my babied heirloom tomatoes brought from Aunt Drue in Bracken county.  Better yet, a scoop of manure form the barn. I think J assumes the dirt piles are just for his truck playing needs.  I wear my funny straw hat from southern states, and L eats grass.  We take pictures like proud parents, squeal at bugs, and plan for the harvest.

DSC00634

DSC00633

This is a few weeks old, this box now looks like a rainforest.

DSC00638

DSC00642

Couldn’t resist the view.

DSC00564

DSC00601

Is there anything sweeter than fresh picked strawberries??

2 comments:

missyg said...

So beautiful. There's nothing better than growing your own food.

Rebecca said...

Your kids are so luck to get to see and do all of this. Have you ever heard of "Last Child in the Woods," by Richard Louv? I'm pretty sure you'd be on board with him.

Also, I'm incredibly jealous of your zucchini. Ours all died last year, and this year it's just not growing as fast as I'd like. Must be the lack of manure.