Sunday, August 30, 2009

Yes. No. More.

A year ago at this time we seemed to constantly face the question of if and when L would walk. For reasons I can't quite explain that seemed to be everyone but ours goal. Don't get me wrong, walking is a wonderful thing, but as I told a friend at a lake gathering, "I would trade walking any day for meaningful communication." He was quick to point out that we had at least some of that. L made certain sounds that caused me to turn my head. We were beginning to hear differences in cries etc. My goal was some form of yes, no and more. It is amazing what you can get across if you have those 3 messages. I didn't even need these in verbal form. Sign language works for me too. L's movements towards those things have been slow.

First we got a version of bye/ blowing kisses. Then we got a Mama and a Daddy. L is VERY strong willed. Many therapists have pointed out this is probably why my child even survived her rough start, but it also means she speaks when and if she chooses, and not because you want her to. So we continued with the sporadic speech. We got lots of sounds. A version of "all done" and then "again." We kept working on yes, no and more but to no avail. Finally midsummer she began to sign and say more. I would have taken either. Both was fabulous. She said it to get Rafferty's cheese fries. You gotta love this kid! We got a variation of the word "swing" and then an occasional yell to get to the slide or outside. Then, slowly at first, very inconsistently, we began to get a nod. A whole body movement for yes, a slight shake for no. Hit vacation and a two handed sign for yes began to take hold only to disappear as soon as we got home. In therapy she was refusing to say up and down, but popped out "Cookie Monster" to get the toy she wanted. And then it was there; a true shake of the head for no, the sign for yes, the sign for more. This is what I asked for. I should be happy right? I should, but tonight she signed "more...please." I am literally crying with delight. Communication with your child....more, please.

1 comment:

missyg said...

Oh, Cathy...L and God are so awesome.