Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sick Bay on Noah's Ark

By now many of you have probably read of my animal woes in an earlier post. As luck would have it, the kittens finally were deemed old enough and liked by the dogs enough to move outside. Personally, I think J continues to be far more dangerous to the lives of kittens than the dogs ever were. I celebrated by spending two hours cleaning and disinfecting the basement. The girls had of course promised they would do their part to keep the mess to a minimum, but at some point they began cleaning up cat poop by laying down a towel over it. Not the best for smell and germs but I will give them points for efficiency. Brian suggested shoveling the whole thing out and then bleaching it down. This is what I did (and cleaned cat food out of the sink etc etc). Meanwhile, I kept B and 2 of her cousins occupied in the kitchen decorating Halloween cookie castles. Let it be noted that unattended children with icing may be quiet, but they are certainly not clean or tidy.

Feeling good about my accomplishments, I went to bed to watch a little post debate review and listen for Brian's return. About 10:30 I heard a yelp as he pulled down the driveway. One of the dogs had darted in front of him. He knew he had hit her but was unsure of the damage as she ran off. I found her the next morning waiting on the front porch. It appeared the tire had caught skin and she was basically a skinned animal on that quarter of her body. I loaded her up in the van and headed for the vets. The good news is they were able to save her leg she had enough skin to stitch around the gaping wounds. The bad news is I have a new animal living in my basement. She will not be allowed outside for sometime as she has drains stitched into the wounds and is wearing a satellite dish collar. We have been cautioned that she must remain in a sterile environment so we fired the girls and Brian is doing a daily bleach job on the basement.

It is our hope to some day use our basement for human activities, but I am not holding my breath. Hold the bathroom expansion or new washer and dryer. I am asking Santa for a dog run and full time vet tech.

No comments: